- Posted by Abhipsa Sahu
Starting with what is Photography?
Photography is capturing the activities of the whole world which is varieties of stories to say which may be full of people, their activities, adventures, any kind of events, games of colours and light, animals, flora and fauna. It has been greatly influencing the human life as it has been one of the most interesting and exciting forms of art since it appeared a long time ago Photography is considered both as a form of art and science and has constantly been improved by different artists, inventors, scientists, and engineers.
Why choosing it as a career?
Photography as a career gives you immense opportunity to explore the world through your camera. It has become a powerful weapon in the world. You can influence people with a single picture. Photographers produce and preserve images that paint a picture, tell a story, or record an event. With the rapid growth of communication networks all over the world, an explosion of the advertising sector and media communications as well as fashion boom, digital photography has become the modern version of this art form. So, as a career, it demands a mixture of both artistic and technical sharpness.
Advantages of this profession:
With the increasing demand for photography in every sector be this as a profession is providing a lot of profits in the career. As you can get varieties of options in the world of photography. If you are passionate towards a particular thing you can make yourself a professional photographer in that very particular sector. You can select a particular sector for your work, you might choose to travel. You get a range of options to experience. The economy of the world is growing at such a faster rate that, its demand is increasing more and more. Be it in media or press any MNc’s in portrait and landscape.
Types of career options:
Once you choose photography as a career you are not bound to stay at one particular thing. You’ll get a number of options inside that one particular thing. There are different types of photography emerging. They are:
- Specialize in Photojournalism, Commercial photography, Advertising, Fashion, Food display, Industrial photography Wildlife photography, Aerial photography, Scientific photography
- Work for newspapers and news magazines who commission them to provide photographs of newsworthy events, things and situations. They combine an ability to find and record dramatic action with photographic talent..Use agility, good observation and alertness to get the best pictures
Commercial photography :
- Click photographs for firms dealing with merchandise, exteriors and interiors, machinery and fashions to be used in advertising and selling. Use a variety of cameras, lights, props etc
- Cater to a variety of clients: fashion houses, designers, portfolios for models, fashion journals and newspapers. Fashion photographers are aware of styles, moods and fashion trends. They work in the studio as well as on locations
- Work for food manufacturers, hotels and restaurants, exporters, dairy and ice-cream companies. Click pictures either in a studio with an attached kitchen or in hotels for exclusive shots
- Click photographs of workers on the job, machinery, industrial layout, prominent places in the industry etc. for use in company publications or for ad campaigns. They have knowledge of the industry as well as its equipment
- Click pictures of nature, wildlife, birds, and their habitats. They have keen observation, patience, an eye for interesting details and love for adventure. Wait for hours to catch the animals in the right mood and pose. Work in sanctuaries, forests and reserves
- Take aerial photographs of places, buildings, landscapes, terrains during natural disasters, war, or under similar situations from aircraft in flight for use in news, business, industrial, scientific or military purposes
- Prepare photographic illustrations and documentation for scientific publications and research reports. The chief areas scientific photographers cover are engineering, aerodynamics, medicine, biology or chemistry
- In recent, this photo has been the most demanding one. As people who are getting married desire to capture all their beautiful moments and hence they are hiring professional photographers to shoot their wedding. Which includes all kind of shoots like all the functions, pre-wedding photography until the last of the marriage. Not only these people have now started capturing all special events of their life be it a baby-shower program or any Birthdays, Anniversaries or any kind of celebrations.
The range of photography varies among photographers. Some take pictures of a wide range of subjects, while others prefer to specialize in one particular area, such as portraits, sports, or private events. Beyond skills with a camera and an artistic idea, they may also require an understanding of digital photofinishing programs and software. While the salary will depend on their location, concentration and freelance or formal employment status, photographers on average made from lakhs to Rs353,453 per year.
There is a number of universities and colleges where you can opt for photography in India as well as in Foreign countries. Photography has become a great demand among all the courses. There is also a lot of scope in the international level. As students are being provided with scholarships to pursue photography as a career. In India, we have some top most universities like :
- Delhi College of Photography. Delhi College of PhotographyLight and Life Academy
- Jawaharlal Nehru Architecture and Fine Arts University, Hyderabad
- AJ Kidwai Mass Communication Research Center
- Asian Academy of Film and Television
- Osmania University
- National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad and many more.
If you are planning for a career out of India then:
- The New York Institute of Photography
- Vevey School of Photography
- Royal Art of College
- Ryerson University etc,
Conclusion: So from the above points, we got to know in details how you can choose photography as a career. As a photographer you can have a huge emotional impact on people, making them experience particular sort of emotion so that they have a certain desire to buy something, go somewhere, or look in a certain way. If the power of the photograph is so great, that it can make people think over something, or compare or connect themselves with the objects depicted on it, it is regarded as a very valuable thing.
Read More Here: Digital marketing – next big career opportunity
Read More Here: Social media- oriented jobs- the heartthrob of today's youth