Anatomy is a combination of the study of medicine and biology since its main concern is the studying of the structure of all living things, it can be with regards to animals, humans, and plants. Anatomy is divided into subcategories, which are the gross and microscopic anatomy. Gross anatomy is the study of all structures that are visible to the eye. It can be seen clearly and does not need the aid of a microscope. Microscopic anatomy, on the other hand, is the complete opposite of gross anatomy. A person would need the use of a microscope; an example would be the study of cells.
The word "anatomy" comes from the Greek words "ana," meaning "up," and "tome," meaning "a cutting." Studies of anatomy have traditionally depended on cutting up, or dissection, but now, with imaging technology, it is increasingly possible to see how a body is made up without dissection.
Areas of Specialization:
- Cell Biology
- Regulatory Biology
- Molecular Biology
Courses & Eligibility
|B.Sc in Anatomy||3 years||Candidate must have completed 10th and +2 with a minimum aggregate mark of 60% and physics, chemistry, mathematics, and biology as core subjects.||NIMS University Entrance Exam, University of Delhi Entrance Exam|
|M.Sc in Anatomy||2 years||The candidate must have completed a Bachelor's degree in Biological Sciences/ BAMS/ MBBS/ BPT/ B.Pharm or any other equivalent degree.||AIPGMEE, Bangalore University Entrance Exam|
- Medical Colleges
- Research Institutes
- Medical Transcriptions
- Industrial Biotechnology Companies
- Private clinics
- Defense Services
For B.Sc - Eligible candidates can get admission into a good college to pursue Anatomy as a career through various entrance exams. Some institutions give admission directly on the basis of academic performance in 10th and +2.
For M.Sc - Candidates who are eligible for Master's in Anatomy go through entrance exams like AIPGMEE, SAIMS, etc. to get admission. Some colleges also provide admission on the basis of academic performance in the graduation degree.
Top Subjects taught in Anatomy are:
- Gross anatomy
- Osteology, Myology
- Lymphatic, drainage and nerve supply
- Surface Anatomy
- General Human Embryology
- Radiology Anatomy
- Dissections of human cadaver
- Physical Anthropology
- Dissections of Thorax
- Histological slides of cardiovascular, respiratory, alimentary systems
- Special (systemic) Embryology of special senses, nervous system
- Ductless glands, face and branchial arches.
- Dissection of Head, Neck, and Brain
- Anthropological instruments and models
- Good communication skills.
- Knowledge of medical artefacts.
- Good social skills and human behaviour.
- Willingness to work long hours.
- The eagerness in pursuing higher studies in Anatomy and teaching it.
- NIMS University Entrance Exam
- University of Delhi Entrance Exam
- All India Post Graduation Medical Entrance Exam (AIPGMEE)
- Bangalore University Entrance Exam
- NTR University of Health Sciences Entrance Exam
- Institute Of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research Entrance Exam
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research Entrance Exam
- Maharashtra University of Health Sciences Entrance Exam
- Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences Entrance Exa
- Sri Ramachandra Medical College & Research Institute Entrance Exam
Careers & Job Prospects
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary per Annum|
|Anatomy Demonstrator||They help dissect cadavers and also teach osteology. Sometimes, they also teach histology, Physiology. They take practical classes like hematology, clinical, etc. Biochemistry. They also take practical classes and also sign practical assignments.||2 - 3 lakhs|
|Clinical Physiologist||Clinical physiologists carry out procedures and investigations on patients to help in the diagnosis, monitoring, and treatment of disease. They measure, evaluate and record the capacity of various parts of the body to function normally.||3 - 5 lakhs|
|Genetic counselor||Genetic counselors are trained specialists who determine risk factors for hereditary diseases and disorders in patients. They provide genetic testing and offer education and counseling to patients and their families. ||2 - 3 lakhs|
|Professor of Anatomy||Anatomy and physiology instructors teach college students about the human body. They give lectures and assignments on topics such as how muscular, skeletal, and nervous systems function.|
5 - 7 lakhs
Question: What are the branches of anatomy?
Answer: It is divided into several branches, including histology, embryology, gross anatomy, zootomy, phytotomy, human anatomy, and comparative anatomy.
Question: What is meant by clinical anatomy?
Answer: Clinical anatomy is defined as anatomy in all its aspects - gross, histologic, developmental and neurologic as applied to clinical practice, the application of anatomic principles to the solution of clinical problems and/or the application of clinical observations to expand anatomic knowledge.