- Posted by Admin
Do you love to rearrange the furniture of your house?? Do your family praise you for the way you decorate your home? Do your friends visit again and again to your place to learn wall paintings and handicrafts from waste materials?? If you are artistic and passionate about designing and decoration then interior designing may prove to be a good career option for you. Ventilation and sun light, interior spaces, electrical circuits and installations, drainage and water supply etc. are the basic requirements of every building. Apart from these things, soothing colours of wall and home decors, designs and patterns, comfortable materials and stylist interior has become the demand of the time. These days life has become very hectic and stressful. People don’t get quality time to spend at home with their families. Hence, they spend a lot on interior designing so that they won’t have to compromise with peace and comfort while they stay at home. Apart from decorating residential houses, the interior designers are in great demand for decorating offices, factories, educational institutions, hospitals, hotels and chill out areas.
Skills Required to be an Interior Designer
- Drawing skill
- Ability to understand client’s requirements
- Good communication skill
- Ability to bring out best within the given budget
- Scientific aptitude to deal with technical details
- Teamwork and leadership
- Knowledge about colours and its impact on psychology
- Knowledge of latest as well as traditional trends
- Knowledge of textures and materials
- Knowledge of hygiene
Interior Design Career Opportunities
Interior designing is not only confined within the four walls of residential buildings rather the designers work in various fields.
Interior designers plan interior spaces, electrical installations, ventilation and sun light, drainage and water supply etc. They keep themselves updated about the latest materials and products available in the market for interiors and on the basis of technical knowledge of building and structures, they prepare layout plans, designs and models.
Interior designing and interior decoration are not the same things. Interior decoration is a subdomain under interior design. They suggest the use of appropriate colour, proper lighting, textures, fabrics and decorative materials, furniture to create an attractive interior.
Theatre and set designing
They design stages for small and mega functions, decor sets of films and other shootings and theaters. They plan exhibition sites to design display panels and individual stands in temporary and permanent museums and galleries.
They design factories, offices, and any number of other settings to provide healthy working environment to workers.
Commercial and corporate designing
They design, warehouses, conference centers, fashion shops and shop windows for retail shops and shopping malls for enhancing marketing drive.
Amusement/ Hospitality area designing
They design cinemas, theatres, and gyms, clubs, hotels, restaurants, pubs, cafes and other chill out areas.
Educational institution designing
They design play schools, schools and universities, coaching centers.
Healthcare centres designing
They design hospitals, nursing and care homes, yoga centers, soul rejuvenation centres and private clinics.
Eligibility to Study Interior Designing
Students who have passed 10th board exam are eligible to apply for Interior Design diploma course. 10+2 qualified students are eligible to study interior designing degree courses. Anyone who intends to pursue PG Diploma in Interior Designing must have completed his or her 10+2 in any stream, apart from having a 3 years’ graduate degree in interior designing, design, engineering, technology or architecture with minimum 45 percent marks from a recognized university. Those who have a Diploma in Interior Design or Craft Design are also eligible for postgraduate diploma and degree courses in Interior Designing.
Courses Offered In Interior Designing In India
- Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) Interior Design
- B.Sc. Interior Design
- Bachelor of Interior Design
- Certificate Course in Interior Design
- Advance Diploma in Interior Design
- Diploma in Interior Design
- Master of Interior Design
- Master Diploma in Interior design (MDID)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Interior Design
- Professional Program in Interior Design
- Vocational Program in Interior Design
Top Institutions Offering Interior Designing Courses
- National Institute of Design (NID)
- Sai School of Interior Design
- Sir JJ School of Art
- Arch Academy of Design
- IILM School of Design
- Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology
- CEPT University
- Shri Devi College of Interior Designing
- College of Architecture, Nashik
Downsides of Interior Designing As a Career
- Studying interior design is very expensive
- Becoming an interior designer is not easy because the industry is closed. They don’t have the structured career path or clear promotion-based approach.
- Has no fixed clientele
- Has no continuous work. The designers get a chance to work only when new projects come.
- The trends change very fast. The interior designer have to stay updated. On the other hand this profession has a very diverse nature of the design world. So, they have to know, memorize a lot of things and have to implement then in various areas in a creative way.
- Tough competition