Gynaecology is the medical practice dealing with the health of the female reproductive systems (vagina, uterus, and ovaries) and the breasts. Gynaecologists are also known as obstetricians. An obstetrician is a medical doctor who has completed a very specific education and extensive training in managing pregnancy as well as labour. A gynaecologist is a medical doctor who has taken education and specialized training in female reproductive health, which includes diagnosing and treating disease.
Gynaecology is one of the most demanded careers in the field of medical science. These days it is seen that demand for women gynaecologist is increasing than males because women are more comfortable with the lady gynaecologist as compared to a male gynaecologist. That’s the main reason why this career option rewarding for female candidates. The term Gynecology is derived from the Greek word gyne and logia. The word Gyne means “Woman” and logia means “Study”.
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, [AIIMS] New Delhi
- King George's Medical University, [KGMU] Lucknow
- Maulana Azad Medical College, [MAMC] New Delhi
- Armed Forces Medical College, [AFMC] Pune
- University College of Medical Sciences, [UCMS] New Delhi
- Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College
- Vardhman Mahavir Medical College, [VMMC] New Delhi
- Madras Medical College, [MMC] Chennai
- Grant Medical College and Sir Jamshedjee Jeejeebhoy Group of Hospitals, [GMCJJH] Mumbai
- Ovarian cysts.
- Pelvic pain.
- Uterine fibroids.
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- Acne and abnormal female hair distribution.
- Genital tract infections.
- Vulva and vagina skin disorders.
Courses & Eligibility:
|Master Course||3 years|
- Government Hospitals
- Private Hospitals
- Health Care
- Research centres
- Medical Health Centre
- For taking admission into the course students have an MBBS degree from a recognised University certified by Medical Council of India.
- Entrance is the only way to get into the course. Students have to qualify in the postgraduate entrance exam.
- Choose Gynaecology as a specialization while filling the form.
- After qualifying the entrance exam students to go through the counselling procedure followed by personal interview.
- Anatomy of Female Genital tract with special emphasis on Surgical Anatomy.
- Development of female Genital Tract and Malformation resulting because of Mal Development.
- Reproductive Physiology
- General Gynaecology
- UroGynaecology and Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery.
- Reproductive Endocrinology.
- Gynaecological Oncology.
- sensitivity and listening skills
- emotional resilience and ability to cope under pressure in sometimes stressful or difficult situations
- manual dexterity
- a sense of humour
- excellent communication skills - to relate well to patients and their families
- good problem-solving and decision-making skills
- the ability to work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team and alongside other medical specialities
- leadership ability
The demand for gynaecologists has increased in the last few decades and Gynecology has become one of the highest-paying professions. The scope of gynaecology is growing annually as the number of hospitals and clinics are increasing.
|Job Post||Job Description||Average Salary per annum|
|Gynaecologist||A gynaecologist treats the overall health of their female patients, treating problems and diseases of the female reproductive system such as breast and hormonal problems, urinary tract and pelvic disorders, and cancer of the cervix. Most often than not, a gynaecologist is an obstetrician as well||12 lakhs to 20 lakhs|
|Assistant Professor||Assistant Professor Responsibilities and Duties. Guide, lead and mentor students in research projects. Create, innovate and implement career-enhancement programs and activities. Assist and support senior professors in their day-to-day tasks and functions.||8 lakhs to 12 lakhs|
Q: What does a gynaecologist do?
A: Gynecologists are doctors who specialize in women's health, with a focus on the female reproductive system. They deal with a wide range of issues, including obstetrics, or pregnancy and childbirth, menstruation and fertility issues, sexually transmitted infections (STIs), hormone disorders, and others
Q: is gynaecologist is a good career option?
A: At present, gynaecology is one of the highest paying job oriented career in medicine. You can be employed in various sectors such as clinics, hospitals, private practice, universities and government agencies, etc.