Thinking of Yoga as a Career? Here's what you need to know
- Posted by Abhipsa Sahu
After facing a very unhealthy phase in life now we have become more health conscious than we ever were. Hence to face this we have chosen yoga as the best option which not only gets you the required work out but also relaxes you. Yoga is one of the most natural ways which help you mentally physically. And being from India we should feel glad that India is Yoga’s birthplace.
With the rise in demand medical care, a lot of importance has been given to yoga teachers and so naturally it has become a great career choice. Fitness is the need of today’s world, hence this is raising the need for a yoga instructor or teacher on the global platform.
Courses available and Eligibility required:
There are a variety of courses available in this field by which students can make their career in this field. Some of the most sought courses are mentioned here:
- Certificate Course:
Certificate Course in Yoga (CCY): It is a one and a half month course with the eligibility of HSC passed. No age limit for this course.
- Bachelor Course:
Bachelor in Arts (Yoga Philosophy): Duration of this course will be three years with the eligibility of 10+2 from any stream securing minimum 45% marks.
UG. Diploma in Yoga Education: It is a one-year duration course with six months internship with the eligibility of graduate from any stream with a certificate in Yoga.
- Master Course:
PG. Diploma in Yoga Therapy: It is a one-year duration course with the eligibility of graduation with any stream from any recognized university.
Master of Arts in Yoga: It is a two-year duration course with the eligibility of minimum graduation from any stream.
- Advanced Yoga Teachers’ Training Course in Yoga (AYTTC): One-month duration course with eligibility of certificate, diploma or graduation in yoga with two years teaching experience in yoga.
Career Opportunities you can find in Yoga:
After completing your education, in yoga sciences you can look for jobs in the following areas:
- Research Officer- Yoga and Naturopathy
- Yoga Aerobic Instructor
- Assistant Ayurvedic Doctor
- Clinical Psychologist
- Yoga Therapist
- Yoga Instructor
- Yoga Teacher
- Therapists and Naturopaths
- Trainer/ Instructor Health Club
Let us give you a few examples of some Yoga Trainers who have successfully set benchmarks in this career:
- Dr Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani: Dr Ananda is the Director and Professor of Yoga therapy at the Center for Yoga Therapy Education and Research (CYTER)and at a Deemed University in Puducherry. As a medical practitioner, he has numerous degrees to his credit like MBBS, ADY, PGDY, FIAY and MD (AM) to name a few. He is a distinguished and adapts yoga practitioner, researcher, teacher and therapist with rich experience and thorough understanding of yoga and its therapeutic benefits and a C-IAYT Certified Yoga Therapist. Dr. Ananda is also the chairman of International Centre for Yoga Education and Research (ICYER), a world-renowned institute of yoga established by Ananda Ashram in 1968
- Abhijata Sridhar Iyengar: Abhijata has done Masters in Bioinformatics from Pune. She started practising yoga at the age of 16. She has a unique training style and agility which makes learning more interesting and motivating
- Ajay Tokas: Ajay started his journey in yoga since 2004. He is well acquainted with Bhakti yoga and went on many religious tours and came across many spiritual teachers. In the year 2010, he received level II authorization in Ashtanga yoga from his guru. He conducts very successful yoga classes in Delhi and his teachings reflect a blend of inner strength and spiritual awareness.
- Alpesh Patwari: Alpesh was a sufferer of epilepsy and suffered a lot from this disease. Finally, he took up Yoga which helped him come out of a vicious circle of ailments and live a healthy and normal life. He has been practising yoga for more than 22 years and is now a trained and certified yoga teacher. He has established his own yoga centres
Based on the Yoga training you have received, you can opt for the field of research, training or works as a Yoga therapist. You can find work in resorts, gyms, schools, health centres, housing societies, and large organizations. Television channels also hire Yoga trainers, and renowned personalities prefer to hire personal Yoga instructors. Even Self-employment would be a great option as well. A great stress buster, Yoga is gaining ground among the ever-increasing number of foreign tourists who seek peaceful holidays, adding to the demand for Yoga specialists. There is no amazing amount of scope for success in this profession.
Hence from the above-mentioned details about yoga and the prominent examples we have given you can come to the conclusion that Yoga is such an amazing career to choose. It not only helps you keep yourself healthier for a whole life long but also will give you a great career, a well-settled lifestyle and the opportunity to build others life in a synchronized manner which will gain you lots of respect among others.